Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho, It's Off to Work I Go

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Monday was the start of a new journey for me as I began a project management position with Sideways 8, a friend's web design business.  I'll be working from home for them on a very part-time basis, making sure that things keep rolling on time and on budget as they need to.  

I'm excited about this new venture!  I really like having something of my own outside of mommy-dom that uses my education and skills in a different way (because lawdy, I promise being a SAHM uses management and event planning skills!)  I think it's good for the kids to see me work...and the paycheck won't hurt either!

So far, training has been going well.  As with any new job, there are new systems to learn (how in the world did technology and apps advance this far so fast?!), new people to meet (the other employees and the 25+ active clients), and new lingo to get used to (oh the acronyms!) on top of the actual job tasks.  After my in-person training on Monday (where I accidentally dumped Adam's entire cup of coffee out before he even sat down....true story), I was overwhelmed and had a bit of "oh no, what have I done?!"  By the end of Tuesday's team call, however, I felt a little more competent.  Not a lot, but a little.  As we finish projects and begin working with new clients, it'll become even easier to remember facts and details and establish working relationships being in from the ground up.  

As I continue to get settled in, I need your prayers for my family's (and boss's) patience, my balance/time management, our health, and for me to be a quick study.  My phone and laptop are smoking from all of the updates and new apps I've installed...not at all unlike my brain, actually.  This is exciting, but it's a little scary, especially because it's starting in conjunction with our new semester of co-leading a small group and my new Room Mom roll (didn't I tell you?! I'm IN!) as well as all of the kindergarten adjustments and David's busy travel schedule.  If I don't call you back, return your email, or send you a baby gift until his first birthday, I ask for your forgiveness and grace.  We'll get there eventually and in the meantime, there is coffee and Jesus.  I might even have to switch from decaf for awhile.  





No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!